2.12.2008

This is a test of the Riddle micromanaging system, this is only a test.

Last night, I was doing the dishes after dinner. As I went about my normal routine, I noticed I was re-arranging the things that had already been loaded in the dishwasher. How many of us do that? You know, as the grins kreep across your face that you, too, have a very specific way that you want your dishes in the dishwasher. As I continued doing this, I realized something. Why the heck would I take the time to do the work twice? Does it really matter that the lid of the tupperware is on the left side of the rack instead of the right?

Sometimes, moving stuff around is smart because it creates more room. However, to move stuff around just because it isn't where YOU think it should be is plain nuts. And, if you are moving it around it means you think it was done incorrectly which, in turn, means you are judging someone based on how they load the diswasher!

So, I invite you to ponder how you approach your dishwasher. I find it is a litmus test of sorts. If you find yourself always re-arranging the things in the dishwasher, it might be time to ease off the throttle. In the grand scheme of things, what matters is that 1. the dishes get clean and 2. that you (or me) acknowledge that someone has tried to be helpful by loading some dishes. It's counterproductive to undo the service someone has offered on your behalf. The way in which the dishes are put in the washer has a negligible impact on your life.

The dishwasher can be seen as microcosom of how you exact control over your life and others. Just something to think about.

Oh, and just so you can feel better about how your day went. When I went in to get Lexi this morning, she had disrobed, taken off her diaper and peed in her crib.

Then, a little later, she pooped in her diaper, took it off and ran around with her bottom half naked.

AWESOME!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

If they would learn to load the dishwasher completely, then I would not have to re-arrange it. And as far as Lexi choosing where to eliminate - its called payback honey...I didn't get all this grey hair because having children was easy.......now I will tell you to enjoy every single moment because they are very precious and can never ever be repeated! love mom

Unknown said...

Yep, I hear ya! Micromanaging is usally NOT necessary! A lesson I'm still learning. And ... mommy-hood is great, isn't it? I'm sure Lexi felt proud! :)

Lewis Times said...

Yes, I rearrange. But it's all contributing to my most efficient life style. Sure the time spent rearranging may not be viewed as efficient. But if it makes all the dishes fit and you get them all clean it's efficient. And yes I do appreciate the efforts of others....but not when I put dishes away realizing they didn't come out clean!
As for Lexi...I'm so glad Abie hasn't pulled that on me...yet?

About Me

My photo
What started as a way to communicate with far away friends and family has become a place for this horse trainer/HR manager turned stay at home mom of 3 girls to hold on to a bit of her own identity. It's my take on the ins and outs, the ups and downs, the thoughts and feelings, the mistakes and triumphs of this family as we bumble our way to eternity.