2.11.2008

Diagnosis: Fat

You heard it right. That was what the doc said. If I want some of the conditions I am suffering with to go away, I need to lose weight. I can't believe I paid my co-pay for that! I know that.

Really, I'm supposed to eat no more than 1500 calories a day. No weigh ins for a month. No skipping meals. If I don't know the calories, I can't eat it.

Doc's doing it, so can I! That's what she said at least.

Here's my perspective:

This will sound arrogant. I have never had to work very hard at something to be pretty good at it. I got good grades and didn't have to do much for them. I ride well and it comes easy to me. I was pretty athletic in high school and college and it wasn't that hard for me. I've never had to do something that I wasn't good at. If it didn't come easy (i.e. math), I just didn't do it.

Now, introduce reality. I have finally realized that I am going to have to keep working at stuff even if I'm not good at. I'm not a great wife sometimes. But, I'm going to have to keep working at it. I'm not always the perfect mom, doesn't mean I can quit. It's going to be the same way with this weight thing. I probably won't eat only 1500 calories everyday. Does that mean I should throw in the towl? Probably not. I'm going to have to work hard even when I don't want to. And, it isn't going to happen overnight. I'm going to have to have, what's that called? Perserverence. Ugh.

Why should I feel like I should have everything handed to me? That's pretty selfish, arrogant, spoiled, rude, and ingorant to name a few of my flaws. For example: I've had two geldings on the market for about 2 months. They haven't sold. In a rush of realization the answer came to me: I have done nothing to help them sell! I haven't really marketed them. I haven't worked at selling them. By the way - if you know of anyone wanting a nice gelding, please click on the link to Riddle Performance Horses. They do have nationwide shipping available! Why should I expect to have something for nothing? I'm actually going to have to earn my money. DUH!

Really, it has been a bit of a relief to understand something so basic, yet vital, to happiness. I do hope that life will be a little easier to stomach now that I've come to these conclusions.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You must know with this latest blog entry you have opened yourself up to the "I told you so's" that us "senior" people have been holding back for a while now. As your mother I learned about 26 years ago that you do not like to be told what to do...as a matter of fact you have always prefered to direct , rather than follow . I had always hoped that at some point in time, you would actually do as I say (of course not in everything - especially finances). Of course I would like to have this happen before I die or before I get Alzheimers (as my mom has, which means she cannot see how I am finally now doing what she wanted me to do). It is called maturing or growing up and sometimes it just plain bites~! And while this growing thing tends to irritate us...at least you have a tremendous sense of humor. Which as you now know really helps in times of stress. YOu know what you should be putting into your body, and you also know that everything processed in going to be wasted and turn to fat in your body. Remember it is a Temple, treat it as such, spare yourself what others like myself have been experiencing: hershey skirts, cramping, nausea, need I go on????

love mom

About Me

My photo
What started as a way to communicate with far away friends and family has become a place for this horse trainer/HR manager turned stay at home mom of 3 girls to hold on to a bit of her own identity. It's my take on the ins and outs, the ups and downs, the thoughts and feelings, the mistakes and triumphs of this family as we bumble our way to eternity.