10.01.2008

Missionary Month


Last year I initiated a month long activity for our youth. Kenner Park ward had done it right before we moved and it was an awesome opportunity for the youth. Our current ward sends very few men and zero young women on missions. With that in mind, I suggested we have missionary month. The entire month is dedicated to learning about mission life, learning a discussion, and then teaching that discussion during a dinner appointment with members from the ward. There was such positive feedback from last year's initial attempt, we're doing it again this year.

The first week the kids get their "mission calls", name tags, and get into their companionships. Last year, I chose the missions randomly. This year, to add a different element, we sent the kids to missions where some of our ward members had actually served. This first week, they also learn their lesson for the month. This year it is The Plan of Salvation. The ward elders are teaching the youth about the plan, how to teach effectively, different challenges they may face, scriptures to have prepared, etc.

The second week, they continue to practice the lesson. This year, they will also meet with the ward members who served their mission to learn about the culture, dominant religious practices, challenges and particular blessings the members felt they received for serving their missions.

The third week is P-day. We play sports and the kids can wear casual dress this week. We added a challenge to this week's p-day. It's being referred to as "missionaries in action day" and each youth is to bring a friend to play ball. Last week, when I introduced the idea I got some varied responses that included remarks about not having friends to invite, jeers about the reality of asking someone to come out and lots of pale, open mouthed gawks. I told the kids they had 3 weeks to pray about it and ask HF to help them find someone to ask. If they didn't have any friends, they should pray for some. I told them it's as easy as saying, "Hey, we're playing volleyball on Wednesday. Want to come?"

The fourth week we have a youth temple trip. The fifth week the kids will have dinner appointments with members who have signed up to feed the youth. They will have food native to their mission and teach the Plan of Salvation. After, they'll come back to the church to tell us how it went. I always ask for feedback about what went well and what could be improved upon. This year, I've ordered a copy of the special New Era that was dedicated entirely to mission preparation for each youth.

The most challenging part of this for me, is getting the kids into the companionships. I ask my active youth to commit to coming the entire month. I also have some hit and miss types who make it some weeks and not others. I know the minute I plan on them not coming, they'll be there. Since I don't want any youth to be left out or any youth to be alone for the actual dinner/lesson activity, I have to be a little creative in my assignments. I have to say, the HG has been with me every time I sit down at the computer to hash it out.

Tonight was the first night of Missionary Month 2008. I had arranged for the elders to come and teach. They had transfers yesterday so the new guys didn't have any idea they were signed up. I had the impression over and over to call, but kept telling myself to leave the poor guys alone. So, for about 20 minutes, I tried to wing it by having the kids look up some scriptures from our standard works that would help them in their teaching. Thankfully, the elders were in tune and felt they should check in with us. They took over and did a great job teaching the fist part of the Plan. So, the month always has a few glitches, but I try so hard to make is seamless. I really want these kids to look forward to serving and have confidence in their leaders.

I have to say, the YW have been around me for 3 years now and know the drill. If they tow the line, I leave them alone. But, I don't mince my words and I expect them to behave appropriately. No whining, no cell phones in church, appropriate dress and a positive attitude at the very least. The YM have had some weak leadership in the past and their group is working on getting stronger. They were pretty good tonight, even though I heard a lot of whining about coming out for a month straight when I first asked for numbers. I told them to make a commitment and stick with it. One youth complained about not getting to eat dinner sometimes. I mocked crying and told him to get tough. I pointed out that the leaders often went without and we're all alive. Another leader remarked that sacrifice is sometimes necessary as we live the gospel and assured this youth he would live to eat another day. I was surprised to see that only one YM leader wore a white shirt and tie when we had made it very clear mission appropriate attire would be required by all. I had to ask the men to dress in mission clothes next week. I even got flack from them. I told them not to argue and plan ahead. Ugh.

I've gotten lots of positive feedback from both youth and adults about this activity. I think the kids actually look forward to it each year now. They love to see where they are going. I've made sure to point out that mission calls are prayed about and no mission is more important than another. I simply said, "If you think you've gotten a lame mission or don't like your comp, take it up with God. He's the one that called you there. This goes for this activity and your actual mission." I hope that the example of ward members and elders who they meet will help encourage all of our YM and those YW who should go to serve. Sometimes, people remark that we can't pressure our kids into going on missions. I agree. However, we still need to teach correct principals. I see it like this: we teach our youth to read their scriptures, say prayers, remain chaste and get married in the Temple. Do all of these kids read and pray everyday? Probably not. Are they all perfectly chaste? Unlikely. Will every one of them get married in the Temple? No. But, I teach them the right thing anyways. I set the expectation and give them some tools to get there. Same with a mission. The men have been commanded to go on missions. The girls have been encouraged to consider missions if appropriate. Why should I shrink away from teaching that principle? It's simply another aspect of living the gospel. Every youth will not serve. But, it's my job as their leader to get them the information and let them know they can do it. It's the right thing to do so I teach it whether they want to hear it or not. I also think the ward really likes having the youth in their homes for the dinner, too. It helps unite some groups that wouldn't usually interface.

It takes a lot of planning and thought to get the missions set, pray about companionships, get the elders on board, get people signed up for dinner, etc. but the dividends always pay off. Seeing how much of my life revolves around my calling and this activity is my baby, so to speak, I'll be blogging about it all month long. Hopefully, it will go well!

3 comments:

Silcox Stories said...

You are amazing and such an inspiration to me. I don't know how you do it all, wife, Mom, horses, YW, pregnant, you go girl! You are a woman of divine inspiration and just like your Mommy sense this too will pay off. You may not see the results for years to come, but I know you are changing lives one week at a time this month (and always)!

twinzmama said...

Good Luck! I know that last year you had some challenges but you did soo well. We had a blast feeding our "missionaries" and hope they had fun trying new things, hopefully the rest of your month goes great!

Unknown said...

You're a terrific YW President and an example to all!

About Me

My photo
What started as a way to communicate with far away friends and family has become a place for this horse trainer/HR manager turned stay at home mom of 3 girls to hold on to a bit of her own identity. It's my take on the ins and outs, the ups and downs, the thoughts and feelings, the mistakes and triumphs of this family as we bumble our way to eternity.