10.29.2008

Missionary Month Wrap-Up

Tonight was the big finale for our annual Missionary Month. Let me just say that I will be venting a little (ok, a ton) throughout this blog entry. However, my frustration with people doesn't preclude the importance of this activity and the impact it had on the kids.

So, as I mentioned before, the toughest part of this whole thing is planning companionships based on the kids who show up regularly, the kids who show up sporadically, and those inevitable few who only show up when you're not prepared for them. I muddled through the assignments and got everything pretty well set. For the most part, the kids were predictable and came when they said they would. And really, for the other weeks, a kid missing here or there isn't really a problem. But, for the dinner night, a missing companion can be an issue since sending one kid alone really isn't an option.

And as you all know, the kids don't always think of things how we adults do. When they decide "I just don't want to go" they don't think about the grocery shopping, planning, cooking, and effort that these volunteers put into this night. They just don't show up and think that it's no big deal. Those kids that don't come all month long and then decide "oh, I think I'll finally show up" don't realize that the people who have cooked may not have enough food for an extra mouth (really, some people who volunteer have really tight budgets) or car space or whatever.

Sunday, I had a volunteer bail on feeding a group of 3 (note: because of the really inconsistent nature of this particular group of kids - YM, I'll admit - almost all of my companionships had to be in sets of 3 because I knew at least one kid would flake most nights) for tonight. I called a friend who is always a glutton for service and she agreed to feed the three. Well, at 4 p.m. today, I get a message that her son (also a participant) has rear ended someone with his car, the car is wrecked, and she can't feed the kids. I sought the advice of my counselors and we decided that 1 of 2 things would happen: 1. Enough kids would be no-shows that we could re-arrange some companionships and it would work out fine or 2. the kids whose family had cancelled would have to stay and eat pizza with us adults and teach us the lesson. Not ideal, but definitely workable. Whew.

At 5 p.m. (we're meeting at church at 6), I get a call from a parent. "My son doesn't have a mission call and we want to know if he can get his." This kid hasn't been out to mutual all month and an hour before showtime, I get the call that he's being left out. I called back and told them that their son had not been to mutual all month so he didn't get his mission call since they were handed out at mutual activities. However, I had his letter and name tag waiting patiently for him and he was welcome to participate. I was pretty frustrated. You know? First of all, this guy was the former YM President. He knows the deal. And you call me an hour before wanting everything made perfect for your kid? Grrr. (This family also signed up to feed some missionaries for tonight. Yeah, I know, they don't send their kid to mutual but want to feed the active youth? Anyways. They had requested we provide a ride for the missionaries to their home. Now that they are clearly bringing their kid to church to drop him off, I ask if they can give the kids they are feeding a ride back to the home. Well, sure, I guess. It'll be 2 girls, I say. Oh, well, you know, according to mission rules, I can't be alone with 2 girls. I said that we could get permission for this one event (hello!!! it's not a real mission and the girls are in a pair). You know what he said, "Well, you DO know the rules, DON'T YOU?")

I will admit that I was pretty frustrated at this point. I really didn't feel like this guy should be telling me anything about any rules anywhere! It's now 5:20, Lexi is needing my attention, dinner is burning on the stove and I have to call in pizza still. I'd been on the phone for a while at this point with the car wreck, last minute request, and counselor recommendations to try and iron a little of this out before I got to church. This whole time Lexi had been managing herself. She had been doing really well, and then got bored. I can't say I really blame her. She started spilling the salt and pepper out on the table. I asked her not to do that and she kept doing it. I'm still on the phone at this time and I took the s & p away. She starts yelling, "MY PEPPER! MY PEPPER!" When I hung up, I took her down from the table and she started yelling at me. I scolded her and she started crying and saying mommy. I let her marinate for a minute and then explained why she was in trouble. She should have listened, yes. However, I knew she was hitting her wall and because of the aforementioned nut case, I was dealing with other issues. I got even more frustrated that I was so busy dealing with other people who are totally irresponsible that it affected my ability to be responsible with my own kid.

Allen pulled into the driveway at 5:42 and I jumped in the car and drove to get the pizzas. I made it to church at 6:10. The kids were supposed to leave at 6:15. We waited a few minutes for some kids and then decided to just send the ones who were there. I only had 2 companionships go on their assigned missions. As with most things, HF ironed it all out and we had exactly enough people who had signed up to feed the kids for the number of companionships. Now, the kids ended up with different missions and comps, but hey, real life happens.

I had ordered all of this pizza expecting to feed about 8 adults and 3 youth with all of the YW leaders, YM leaders and the possible 3 youth. Well, only my counselors, myself, and one member of the bishopric showed up (4 people). Where were the YM leaders? At 7:15, they come strolling in. Even though I had printed calendars for each person explaining each week AND had announced every Sunday (the YM leaders lost their calendars and asked me every week what we were doing) what we were doing on Wednesday, they "forgot" the time and swore we must have changed plans. Um, no, pretty sure it's been on the books for the entire month (they also thought they were putting together their booth for the hotly debated fall festival you've already read about - what! - I swear, do they not communicate with each other at all!?!). So, we got to bring home lots of pizza at least.

The kids said they enjoyed the time and learned a lot. The people that did feed the kids made awesome ethnic food and shared their own mission experiences. Service isn't always understood or appreciated. I know that. I really don't expect the youth to be perfect in their understanding of how much we work as leaders to make their experiences fun, memorable and spiritual. I do expect the other youth leaders to do their part, support one another, and encourage their youth to be responsible. I kind of hope that parents will be respectful and helpful when possible. I don't think these are unreasonable hopes for adult people. I do love my girls and have a really good time with them. I know that I try to fulfill my calling to the highest degree and I hope that it will make a difference in the lives of those I work for. I hope that my kids will have leaders who are willing to do the same. This year was incredibly frustrating for me as the person organizing the event. The support we received from the YM leaders was pretty dismal. But, if one kid decides to service a mission and this activity helped with their choice, then it really was worth it. However, I am asking to be released on Sunday (just kidding!).

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Traci, you're amazing. A pox of those YM leaders! Geezzzz... if only things could smoothly just once, huh?

About Me

My photo
What started as a way to communicate with far away friends and family has become a place for this horse trainer/HR manager turned stay at home mom of 3 girls to hold on to a bit of her own identity. It's my take on the ins and outs, the ups and downs, the thoughts and feelings, the mistakes and triumphs of this family as we bumble our way to eternity.