10.06.2008

I Love EBay!

I have used Ebay in the past to buy some horse stuff. But, I didn't really start to learn about Ebay and its wonders until a year ago. There's all sorts of great stuff there.

Lexi is in need of some winter clothes. Of course, some things I buy new from stores, or got from friends when their girls outgrew some stuff. However, if I know exactly what I want, I always check online first to see if I can get a deal. I have to factor in shipping, too, but with diesel the price it is, the hassle of shopping with Lexi, or the cost of a sitter while I go and shop, online is sometimes a better deal. Also, if we don't have a store in ABQ and I know the prices there are always too high (Gymboree, Gap, Pottery Barn, Pottery Barn kids), I check Ebay and the online sales for each web site to see if I can find a special.

This is what I've gotten for her in the last 2 weeks: Esprit sweater dress with leggings. EUC (excellent used condition). Price including shipping: $14.75.

Osh Kosh 3 piece set. GUC (good used condition - jacket shows some wash wear, but items were hung to dry). Price including shipping: $13.99

Gymboree 6 piece set. All in EUC except the sweater which is listed as Good Condition. Price including shipping: $27.00 (Just over $4 per item.)
Old Navy Jeans. EUC. Price including shipping: $32.58. That's just over $10 a pair. Currently jeans are running $16.50 new at Old Navy.
So, for about $88 (including shipping) Lexi has quite a bit of stuff that should last through winter and hopefully start her off for next fall when it cools off again. We already had some things and I did get quite a few things from my sister-in-law, so we're close to done. I'll still collect t-shirts, socks, play clothes and stuff like that if I find it on sale (not to mention she might get some things for Christmas and her B-day), but with all of the pieces we have above, she's got some cute, quality (and cheap) stuff when we go out or to church.

For those of you who haven't tried Ebay, I'll leave a few pointers. First of all, lots of stuff on Ebay is NEW. There is a "buy it now" option if you know exactly what you want and don't want to bid. Since I'm in and out and don't like playing watchdog, when I bid on something, I put the highest price I'm willing to pay as my first bid amount. That doesn't mean the price automatically jumps to that dollar amount. Say, the current bid is at $10.00. I'm willing to pay $20. I put in $20. The price then goes to $10.50, or just above the current highest bid. If someone bid a higher price, the price would increase, but not until then. If the item goes above my original bid, I let it go.
Here are some of the things to know:
NWT - new with tags
NWOT - new without tags
EUC - excellent used condition
GUC - good used condition
PC - play condition
I always check to make sure it says, "Smoke free" home on the listing. Some are smoke and pet free, but since we have pets, I don't mind if the people selling the item have pets.
So, I can search "3t girls dress nwt" and get only dresses that have never been worn and are brand new. I can add the word "gap" and get only gap dresses. If you put "lot" into the description, you'll get a group of clothes - "2t girl old navy jean lot". Some are only one brand, but some are mixed. I do this when I don't want to pay lots of shipping charges.
Always check the feedback for your seller. I don't mess with people who have 99% positive feedback or less. If you do buy something on Ebay, make sure you read the auction rules. Some people give you 24 hours to pay, others give you 5 days. When you get your stuff, check it out, smell it, etc. and then leave feedback. Feedback is the life blood of Ebay.
Things to avoid buying on Ebay: electronics, movies/dvds/cds/, make-up, computers, and the like. The movies can be pirate copies, make-up is always best bought from a known source in a sealed package, and electronics can be hot items (stolen) or refurbished by some guy who isn't an expert, but unemployed and trying to make a quick buck. I have purchased candles and Bath and Body Works type things that are sealed with the plastic and been just fine. I also don't buy gifts for others on Ebay. Even if it's new, I still feel weird about it. Just my personal preference on that one.
If any of you have wanted to try Ebay, and felt like it was all used, crappy stuff let me assure it, it's not. If it seems way too intimidating, it's really easy. If you want to check it out, I'm always happy to help spend your money and give you some tips.
Happy Bidding!

No comments:

About Me

My photo
What started as a way to communicate with far away friends and family has become a place for this horse trainer/HR manager turned stay at home mom of 3 girls to hold on to a bit of her own identity. It's my take on the ins and outs, the ups and downs, the thoughts and feelings, the mistakes and triumphs of this family as we bumble our way to eternity.