10.06.2008

Crime and Punishment?

How is it that every time a person with kids tries to get something done, they are punished? For example, let's say you go to take a shower. No, let's make it even more simple. Showering can be tricky and sometimes is a selfish endeavor so we'll make it something totally necessary. You want to go to the bathroom. You think "I'm just gonna run to the bathroom quick. I'm sure the child won't hurt, kill, maim, or tear apart anything in the 30 seconds I take." You unassumingly head to the commode. Taking your leave from the hot box, you hear nothing. That's right. Dreaded silence.

The child has rummaged through the nightstand and is chipping away at one of your nice candles. The wax has been smeared on the tv screen, in the child's hair, eyes, face and on the clothes. That is just one example.

Today, Lexi was enjoying a long snooze. I didn't have to work so I let her sleep in as long as she wanted. I was up, pitter pattering around waiting for her to wake. Around 9, she starts singing to her babies so I head back to her room. She is squatting in her bed and starts crying. Her diaper leaked as soon as she got up. Pee was running down her legs and soaking into all of her bedding (including precious pink). "It's pee pee!" she says and I agreed with her. She was horrified so she asked for a bath. She also let me know that pink needed to be washed because "pink was pee, pee too".

She was just trying to sleep. You know, a person can only enjoy sleeping in a few days a week so I think it's nice to let it happen when it can. And what did I get for my efforts? A kid who was upset and a diaper that couldn't even keep it together for an extra hour. I shouldn't be surprised by this kind of stuff. Any one of us with kids knows that when you try to do something productive or nice, we are appropriately punished for our efforts.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
What started as a way to communicate with far away friends and family has become a place for this horse trainer/HR manager turned stay at home mom of 3 girls to hold on to a bit of her own identity. It's my take on the ins and outs, the ups and downs, the thoughts and feelings, the mistakes and triumphs of this family as we bumble our way to eternity.