7.25.2009

Adversity

One of my best friends of all time was robbed. While she was sitting in Sunday school! I always feel like if I'm serving the Lord, I'll at least have a little bit of protection while I'm serving. You know, I'll do all I can and the Lord will help keep the pathway bright. But, alas, that is not often the case. As my friend explained, "There are obviously different levels of protection available to us at different times". She didn't blame God for allowing something bad to happen. As I pondered her situation and all of the different types of adversity we are confronted with, I had this come to my mind: If anyone deserved protection while on the Lord's errand, it would have been Joseph Smith. But, he was tried more than your average man. How many times was the poor man attacked or tarred and feathered? How many people gossiped about him without even knowing him? How many of his kids died? I mean, the poor guy was put through the wringer all while serving Heavenly Father. At one point, while stuck in jail for crimes he hadn't even committed, he finally asked the Lord, "What the heck?!?" The 122nd section of the Doctrine and Covenants gives us the answer to that famous question we all ask when life gets tough: WHY????

"If thou art called to pass through tribulation; if thou art in perils among false brethren; if thou art in perils among robbers; if thou art in perils by land or by sea;

If thou art accused with all manner of false accusations; if thine enemies fall upon thee; if they tear thee from the society of thy father and mother and brethren and sisters; and if with a drawn sword thine enemies tear thee from the bosom of thy wife, and of thine offspring, and thine elder son, although but six years of age, shall cling to thy garments, and shall say, My father, my father, why can’t you stay with us? O, my father, what are the men going to do with you? and if then he shall be thrust from thee by the sword, and thou be dragged to prison, and thine enemies prowl around thee like wolves for the blood of the lamb;

And if thou shouldst be cast into the pit, or into the hands of murderers, and the sentence of death passed upon thee; if thou be cast into the deep; if the billowing surge conspire against thee; if fierce winds become thine enemy; if the heavens gather blackness, and all the elements combine to hedge up the way; and above all, if the very jaws of hell shall gape open the mouth wide after thee, (which, by the way, always makes me think of this)



know thou, my son, that all these things shall give thee experience, and shall be for thy good.

The Son of Man hath descended below them all. Art thou greater than he?

Therefore, hold on thy way, and the priesthood shall remain with thee; for their bounds are set, they cannot pass. Thy days are known, and thy years shall not be numbered less; therefore, fear not what man can do, for God shall be with you forever and ever."

Are we greater than the Savior? Why should we expect to have tribulation pass over our door while he suffered beyond measure? And what kind of people would we be if we didn't learn those special lessons that only a tough road can bring?

As I've read and re-read this scripture, I find myself dwelling on the promise rather than the list of the many things that we might be tried with during this life. That promise is this: "...God shall be with you forever and ever". Often, I forget that he is my friend and knows my struggles. He knows my potential and wants me to reach it. Thus, he allows challenges to present themselves and doesn't protect (notice I didn't say he inflicts challenges; rather, he doesn't shield me entirely from them) me from every trial I may face so that I might become the best possible me. He sets the bar high always knowing I can reach it. It may seem twisted, but it does make me feel a little better to know that there is one person out there who never doubts my abilities to rise to the challenge.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Good reminder. HE is our champion even when we are not our own!

About Me

My photo
What started as a way to communicate with far away friends and family has become a place for this horse trainer/HR manager turned stay at home mom of 3 girls to hold on to a bit of her own identity. It's my take on the ins and outs, the ups and downs, the thoughts and feelings, the mistakes and triumphs of this family as we bumble our way to eternity.