7.10.2009

Bigger, Bigger!

A few days ago, Lexi asked if she could go out to play. I said yes and agreed to meet her outside in a couple of minutes. Before I could make it out the door, she came back in. She had a big grin on her face and her hands behind her back. She was obviously proud of her find. I asked her to show me what she had and she produced this:


She was so happy to have "helped" in the garden that I wasn't quite sure what to say or do. I was about to call Allen at work anyways, so I told Lexi she should share with her Dad what happened. I figure I'd follow Allen's lead. This is how the actual conversation went:

Me: Oh! Lexi, that watermelon wasn't done growing. Let's tell Dad what happened. He's going to be really sad. (I start dialing.)

Lexi: He's going to be really sad?

Me: Yeah. (Ringing) Here, tell Dad what you did.

Allen (on phone): Hello?

Lexi: I picked a watermelon it isn't red yet it's too little it needs to grow bigger, bigger, BIGGER!

Allen: You what?

Me: She picked the baby watermelon. I told her you would be sad.

Allen: Oh, Lexi, that makes me sad.

Lexi: You're sad now, Dad?

Allen: Yes, I'm sad.

Lexi: Dad's sad.

A couple of hours later, Allen came home. He told Lexi he had something for her. Of course, she was very excited. He produced a full size watermelon. He then had her hold the baby watermelon while he pointed out the difference. She said, "I picked it too early? It's not red yet? It's going to grow taller, taller, taller. Like me!!" He explained that the watermelon needs to stay outside on the plant until it's bigger, bigger like the one he brought home for her.

I thought that was some of the most creative parenting I'd seen. He obviously thought about the best way to teach Lexi the difference between baby and mature fruit; he made a special stop on the way home to buy the big watermelon and plan out how to really teach rather than just scold her. Since she loves to work in the garden, it's important she know the right time to take the fruits or veggies off the plant. She was totally intrigued by the big watermelon. Being able to hold them side by side made it much easier for her to see the difference.

And, we even got to eat the yummy, bigger, BIGGER watermelon for dessert.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

What a cute story! What a thoughtful daddy! :) Do you have another watermelon growing?!?!

Anonymous said...

GREAT JOB "bad daddy"!

About Me

My photo
What started as a way to communicate with far away friends and family has become a place for this horse trainer/HR manager turned stay at home mom of 3 girls to hold on to a bit of her own identity. It's my take on the ins and outs, the ups and downs, the thoughts and feelings, the mistakes and triumphs of this family as we bumble our way to eternity.