12.24.2008

Mentioning the Unmentionables

So, you all saw my "I'm happy to be a mommy" post. You all also know that I'm not one to hide the truth, sugarcoat the miserable, or quietly work through my struggles. If I'm not happy, every one gets to hear about it.

I will say, without any if's, and's or but's, the mommy responsibilities with Addie have been pretty dang pleasant. She's reasonable, quiet, a great eater, sleeper and a nice little baby (so far). I am still waiting for the bottom to fall out, though. I keep expecting her to cry endlessly throughout the night. I anticipate having to play the "formula game", and I sit on the edge of my seat with baited breath as she eats wondering when she'll start arching her back and spewing forth formula like the Exorcist baby.

But, let's talk about me for a minute. I honestly, and foolishly, thought I'd be ready for the New York marathon after having Addie. I figured if I wasn't having surgery, I'd be in tip-top shape. I'd push her out and bound out of bed eager to fulfill my new mommy duties. I mean, really, what could be so painful about a regular birth? Ok. Let me just say that was one stupid thing to think! My ribs felt like a gang of misfits had their way with me. My legs were shaky and weak. I had an awful, sharp, pulling pain in my lower gut area every time I got out of bed. My back was so sore, I thought someone had sucker punched me while I wasn't looking. Even though I had no incision, no surgery, I couldn't stand up straight and I limped around for the first few days wondering who had beat me with a 2x4! Each time I laugh, I'm reminded of a certain song only I substitue some words: "Does your gut hang low, does it wobble to and fro?" And let's not forget that it does take some time and pain for your insides to fall back into their respective places after having been shoved aside for the last 9 months while the baby took up occupancy in your guts. I was tired after showering, let alone walking up to the NICU to see the kid. And honestly, that leaves out the most personal part of the journey as even I have enough scruples not to blog about that situation. I'm sure you can all figure it out, though.

I know this method of delivering has been an easier recovery overall. I think back on my c-section and I can't seem to remember why I hated it so much. Baby out early, good drugs, even better drugs after they take the baby, etc. etc. I do remember a very bad ripping feeling in my tummy area when I first tried to stand up, falling into bed because I couldn't support my own weight, and feeling like I had a hernia every time I tried to do anything. But, God has mercifully stripped my memory of most of those things. You know, if he didn't do that for us moms, the human race would die out pretty quickly.

So, this time around hasn't been all roses. I had myself so psyched up for this VBAC thing and I have been a little put off by the recovery time. I guess you can't expect to bring forth another human being, out of your own body no-less, and not have some battle wounds, though. Anyhow, I've done my fair share of complaining as my body has slowly come back from the whole birth process. Thank goodness Addie has been a good kid and I've had gobs of good help these last 2 weeks. And really, the extra week of recovery while Addie enjoyed the room service in the NICU was pretty helpful. Again, no matter what the method, a woman must go through the gates of Hell to bring back those little Spirits from Heaven.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love reading your stories! You always make me laugh by telling it like it is!

About Me

My photo
What started as a way to communicate with far away friends and family has become a place for this horse trainer/HR manager turned stay at home mom of 3 girls to hold on to a bit of her own identity. It's my take on the ins and outs, the ups and downs, the thoughts and feelings, the mistakes and triumphs of this family as we bumble our way to eternity.