4.23.2008

One sick puppy


About 1 p.m. watching Sword in the Stone

Poor Loo. She's had a really hard night. About 12:45 a.m. I heard her cry out, but she settled down quick. At 1:10 or so, she cried again and that nagging mommy thing told me to get her. She had thrown up, of course. I called Allen (to his credit, he was there in a flash) giving him Lexi and taking barf duty. YUM!

We changed her, sponge bathed, stripped her bed - you know, the whole deal. We gave her some water and she promptly threw that up too. She got sick every 15 minutes for the next hour or so. Of course, she had nothing left in her tummy so she was especially unhappy when she did heave. Then, she slowed down to every half an hour. Finally, around 5, she stopped for a bit.
Allen was Super Dad and held her all night while trying to sleep in between barfings. I would come out, clean her up, change the barf bucket (yes, we've resorted to the barf bucket technique), and then go back to my room. The whole idea was that I would sleep a little so that I could talk early a.m. shift while Allen tried to catch up on sleep before going to work. Dumbo was on continuous play and then Cinderella made her efforts to calm the baby. Well, none of us got sleep despite our brilliant planning, but that's how it goes.

So, at 6, Allen got up, showered and went to work. We gave Lexi pedialyte with about a tablespoon of juice (she did not want water since she'd already puked that up) right before he took off. I gave her a bath and we settled down. At 7, I stepped into my room to do something and came back a minute later to find her drenched in barf saying, "Juice? Juice?" I cleaned her up again and put another load (is that 4 now?) in the wash. At 8:30 she asked for more juice so I tried again. At 9:30, well, you know by now. She was burning up so I took her temp. 100.6. Not too bad.

Now, it's 11 and we're pushing fluids since she can't keep anything down. 1 tsp. every 15 minutes. She won't even eat ice chips - and for those of you who have seen Lexi with ice - she's feeling really bad if she won't eat ice chips. I take her temp again - 101.9! Whoa. Not that high, really, but went up pretty quick. She can't keep Tylenol down so I use a cold compress. Boy, did she hate that! She passed out about 11:30 in the football pillow.

We have a dr.'s appointment at 3:50. Her temp is back down to 101.3. Making progress here. Anyhow, while we're well versed in barf (severe acid reflux for the first 15 months of her life), fevers we aren't. She's a really healthy little girl. She's never had an ear infection or anything worth worrying about. I'm know she's got a little bug and will be just fine, but she sure is miserable. We've had lots of good cuddle time since she's been sleeping for most of the morning and wants to be held, and I'm sure she'll back to her normal self by the weekend.

2 comments:

Poetry of Life said...

Poor thing! It's so hard when little ones are sick. Time stops until their better, so bunker down!

Silcox Stories said...

Ugh! Sick kids just break my heart (and my back too). Give Loo some extra snuggles for us and just do your best to hang in there. You're right, this too shall pass!

About Me

My photo
What started as a way to communicate with far away friends and family has become a place for this horse trainer/HR manager turned stay at home mom of 3 girls to hold on to a bit of her own identity. It's my take on the ins and outs, the ups and downs, the thoughts and feelings, the mistakes and triumphs of this family as we bumble our way to eternity.