4.10.2008

My boy

I'm so proud of my horse. I know that may sound silly, but he never fails to impress me. Amy M., a Beehive and advid rodeo rider, has been winning saddles, buckles and money for the last 2 years on her mare Destiny. Two weeks ago, Destiny went lame. Amy started riding her old barrel horse, Whinny, who also came up lame on Tuesday.
I happened to be at her house on I Be Streakin' (to give her a lesson on Whinny) and told her if she wanted, she could use him. He's never run barrels before in his life, but he obviously has speed. We had 2 days to prepare for tonight's exhibition and classes. So, we worked a little bit and tried to get him sort of patterened. Then, we loaded up and went over.
He was fantastic. Amy usually scores in the 18-19 second range on Destiny. Tonight, she ran a 23 second time and then a 22 second time. She improved by 1 whole second in one run's time. That is pretty incredible. Remember, this was the first time he'd ever run barrels. I got some good pics of them. She's hopeful with more work that they may be somewhat competitive this season. So, at 20 years young, I Be Streakin' will be starting a whole new career with a 13 year old girl. What a guy!

Amy and I Be Streakin' on their way to the finish line (or as we say in the rodeo world - on their way home)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Very cool! And Amy must be confident to go from a mare to a stallion she apparently has never been on! Good luck to her!

About Me

My photo
What started as a way to communicate with far away friends and family has become a place for this horse trainer/HR manager turned stay at home mom of 3 girls to hold on to a bit of her own identity. It's my take on the ins and outs, the ups and downs, the thoughts and feelings, the mistakes and triumphs of this family as we bumble our way to eternity.