8.14.2009

Father Time

Or you can call him Tweet. Or Robert. Or Grandpa. He'll answer to any of these names. I'm talking about my grandpa, Robert E. Vincent. This year, he celebrates is 95th birthday. I guess you can understand why he's earned the nickname "Father Time". The man's forgotten more than I'll ever learn.

I have so many wonderful memories of my time spent with Grandpa. I never knew him as a working man; he's been retired as long as I can remember. This made him totally and completely available to my every whim when I was young. We would work in the yard. Or fiddle around in the shop. Or make a special trip to Pixie Village and I never realized the reason why I had the park practically all to myself was because we were there in the middle of the week - not fighting the crowds on the weekends with the regular, working folks.

One of my favorite memories of Grandpa was watching Jeopardy! with him on a nightly basis. He always knew all of the answers. He never got one wrong. It didn't surprise me in the least either. I idolized the man; it only made sense he was an intellectual genius, too. It wasn't until years later, my dad laughed as he said, "Yeah. You remember their satellite? He used to watch the east coast airing and then the west coast broadcast a few hours later." Of course he knew every answer!!! Knowing that didn't change my mind about Grandpa, though. He was still the most incredible guy I knew.

As with any young mind, I wouldn't realize and know who this man truly was until I became an adult myself. As I've grown up and better understood life, I've come to respect and love my Grandpa even more. He has always been a hard worker. He made his wage and supported his family as a Rigger at oil refineries. Not any easy job. In addition to his day job, he has always been entrenched in volunteer work. From sitting on the boards at the credit unions, to the Red Men, and Boy Scout leader, he has always taken action to improve his community rather than just idly stand by and hope for the best.

Grandpa has always been a very social person, making friends with just about anyone. Once his friend, he'd give you the shirt off his back at a moment's notice, too. Grandpa was never selfish with his means. He extended his generosity to a multitude of animals, too. They seemed drawn to him and he would feed any stray who would stick around long enough to wait for the can to be opened.

For as long as I could remember, Grandpa smoked long, brown cigarettes. I always chewed my nails. When I was about 12 (he was in his 80's here people), we came to an agreement. He would stop smoking if I would stop biting my nails. To me, that seemed fair. Now that I look back, I can't believe he agreed to the plan. And you know what, he quit. I don't know how long he had been a smoker, but he was a man of his word. And, he's here to prove it.

When I was in high school, he had an extended stay in the Walnut Creek Kaiser hospital. I would visit him when I could. He wasn't in very good shape for a while there and it was a little intimidating for a kid like me to try and figure out what the heck to say and do for him. He was ornery as ever and thank goodness because it probably saved his life.

I'm most proud of my Grandpa for the way he treated my Grandma during her last few months of life. Grandpa grew up hard. The entire generation had suffered the effects of a depression. It's the "if someone ain't yellin' at ya, keep doing what you're doin'" but you'll never hear a "good job" or get a pat on the back. He was the proverbial man's man. But, when my Grandma started to slow down, age and cancer taking away her ability to do for herself (let alone do for him), a new man emerged. He served her day and night. Any history between them was being atoned for as he made sure she had all of her needs met. He became a tender man whose concern was only for her comfort. I watched him on his hands and knees cleaning floors, loading laundry, and cooking meals. I was amazed to see such a profound change in a man in his late 80's. Don't let anyone tell you an old dog can't learn new tricks. My Grandpa is proof of what lifelong love can do for a man.

So, Grandpa, here's to you! For all you've been to me and now are to my daughters. To being a Grandpa to Allen. To all you've done for the city of Concord. And to those you've helped when they had hard times. You're impact is undoubtedly more far reaching than you'll ever know. I'm so proud to be your granddaughter and to have you know my family. You are a blessing to us. We love you!
Grandma Eva and Grandpa with one of their many family dogs.

Grandma and Grandpa's wedding day picture.

Grandma, Grandpa and Bob.

Grandpa, Me and Kellie. 1979.

Me, newborn Marti and Grandpa at the hospital.

Grandpa holding Marti.

Grandpa and me. He'd do just about anything to make me happy. Remember, he's in his 70's in this picture.

Dad, Grandma, Allen, Me and Grandpa. 2001. Grandma passed away just 4 months later.

Grandpa with Lexi. 2006.

Grandpa "Tweet" and Grandpa "Bob" as Lexi calls them.

Grandpa Tweet and Lexi. January, 2009.

Grandpa Tweet and Addison. July 2009.


Happy Birthday Grandpa!!
Here's to many more!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

T, that was a great trip down nostalgia lane...thanks for the memories. Your grandpa is a wonderful man, he treated me as if I were his own daughter - and I will never forget his generous spirit - I love him very much, too.
mom

marti said...

what a great blog today, trac! it was a pleasure to read and made me feel very proud to be tweet's happy kid and part of our family. and is it just me or does allen look a heck of a lot like grandpa in the first photo? holy cow! happy birthday grandpa! here's to at least 5 more!

Unknown said...

A very sweet and touching read, Traci! It brought back a few tears and memories of my own (and only living) Grandpa (who passed away when I was in 9th grade). Boy, did I love him!

About Me

My photo
What started as a way to communicate with far away friends and family has become a place for this horse trainer/HR manager turned stay at home mom of 3 girls to hold on to a bit of her own identity. It's my take on the ins and outs, the ups and downs, the thoughts and feelings, the mistakes and triumphs of this family as we bumble our way to eternity.