4.12.2009

30!

Yesterday was my 30th birthday. It started off like any other day and got progressively crappier. Allen and I were both disappointed. But, it ended with a BBQ and lots of friends and we ended up having a great time. Allen had called and invited a few of our friends over and we had about 20 people for a simple dinner and my favorite: ice cream cake. The weather was terrible; raining and windy all day but we still managed to fit everyone inside and it was a really nice, casual get together.

Rumor on the street is that your 30's are way better than your 20's. I'm really looking forward to that. I think sometimes, we forget just how much change a person goes through in their 20's. You leave home, probably get married (holy crap!) and usually start having kids (double holy crap!!). If you think your teenage kids are hormonal, introduce yourself to a woman in her 20's! And growth is usually accompanied by pain. Like it or not, growth isn't usually the most comfortable experience. Plus, the choices you make in your 20's have a lot more long-term impact on your life than say, oh, what color dress to wear to prom. I'm guessing my 30's will still include big decisions and growing pains, but I at least hope to feel more confident about myself. More at peace with who I am and where I fit in this world. And maybe, if I'm lucky, a little hard won wisdom to help me know what is really important and what isn't.

2 comments:

Poetry of Life said...

Happy belated Birthday! So lets call it even because I was the loser who forgot to call you on your birthday. Happy 30! (I'm just warning you, so far it still feels like the 20's).

Riddlez said...

Yeah. It's probably like most things in life. It finally gets good when you're like, 39. Sigh.

About Me

My photo
What started as a way to communicate with far away friends and family has become a place for this horse trainer/HR manager turned stay at home mom of 3 girls to hold on to a bit of her own identity. It's my take on the ins and outs, the ups and downs, the thoughts and feelings, the mistakes and triumphs of this family as we bumble our way to eternity.