11.02.2008

Big Girl Bed

Last night was Lexi's first night in her big girl bed. Allen was able to re-frame the door in her room, put up wainscot, base, chair rail and crown molding over the last week and a half. We have to cut in some paint, putty and touch up, but for the most part her room is done.

Before.

We actually started painting in September while we waited for the well to be done outside.

Lexi had to help, as usual.

Allen's super nice blood blister. Lexi will never be able to say we didn't' sacrifice for her benefit, right!


The end of day one of of putting up wainscot, base and chair rail.


Yesterday, Allen put together all of Lexi's furniture, finished some chair rail and put up all of the crown molding. Since, Allen and I haven't been out without Lexi for at least 4 months, last night we decided to have dinner with some friends. We warned the babysitter that Lexi had no nap and would be spending her first night in her new bed. We kind of expected Lexi to be up when we got home, but she had conked out on the floor and was sleeping peacefully in the bed.

Allen went to bed around 11 and I tried to follow suit at 12 a.m. I desperately sought slumber, but to no avail. The TV had been off since about 1 and I just kept tossing and turning. Finally at 3:30, I felt sort of tired. I happened to hear a little chirp and see this person running past our bedroom door. Then I heard, "Mommy, Mommy!" as she comes into our room. I had nudged Allen awake and we were both laughing a little bit.

Lexi has a regular habit of waking up from around 2 a.m. till 4 or 5 many nights of the month. She plays happily in her crib with her babies and then sleeps until 8:30 or 9. The night before last was the beginning of another cycle of this habit. Not surprising this coincided perfectly with her move to a bed. I knew she would be up and out for at least 2 hours last night. So, we went into her room with her and explained she could read books and play quietly, but had to stay in her room. Yeah, right! After an hour, we decided we'd take our leave. I went first and laid down in our bed. About 45 minutes later, Allen came in. About 1 minute after that, Lexi came in, too. Allen took her back into her room. She was clearly tired, but not about to lay down. Around 6 a.m., she asked him to lay down with her. They slept for about an hour. Allen woke up and figured he'd make a break for it so she wouldn't get used to waking up with him in the bed. Naturally, she woke up.
I slept from about 5:15 to 7:30 (I really think I ended up getting close to 3 hours of sleep since the time change thing). Needless to day, I'm a little tired. Allen's feeling ok since he got about 4 hours but could probably sleep if given the chance and Lexi is exhausted. In the midst of our late night rendezvous, Allen and I decided that we'll be getting a baby gate in the next 2 days if she can't work it out.

The big girl bed.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh! Everything is beautiful! It looks great! Now it just needs "Sleeping Beauty"!! :)

Silcox Stories said...

It looks awesome! You know Lauren's transition was painless, it happened by last minute decision and all is well, so I think given Sunday night's peaceful sleep you will be just fine. I do keep the baby gate on hand and that really worked for Dallin, all it took was a night of that and he was good to go! The room looks great too!

We need to talk!

About Me

My photo
What started as a way to communicate with far away friends and family has become a place for this horse trainer/HR manager turned stay at home mom of 3 girls to hold on to a bit of her own identity. It's my take on the ins and outs, the ups and downs, the thoughts and feelings, the mistakes and triumphs of this family as we bumble our way to eternity.