6.07.2008

Taking it easy

This weekend was the most relaxed we've had since the middle of December. Allen had Friday off and dug a trench to expose the electrical lines to the grinder so that we could move our sewer lines today. That took all morning but we had the afternoon off. Lexi took a super long nap and Allen ran some errands. We ate a lazy dinner and played on the swing set.


The grinder in its original location.

This morning the contractor showed up just before 8 and started digging to move the sewer grinder. All of the homes in Bosque Farms have these things. When neighborhoods converted from septic to city sewage, they installed these grinder things. Each home owner chose where to put theirs. The brilliant owners of this home put it right in the middle of the back yard. Since we're putting in mow strip, lawn, walkways, etc., we don't want this crappy green thing sticking up for the duration of our time in this home. So, we hired a company to come out and move it 16' to the North. That way, our beautiful lawn will be crap free. The cost was $600, but worth every penny.


As we were working, one of the guys jumped down in the hole (about 5 feet deep) and started moving some dirt. The pile he was pulling from (above him) collapsed and buried him hip deep. He heard his knee pop and we started digging him out. Thankfully, it was just a sprain. We wrapped it with vet wrap (a horse doctoring wrap that works great) and he continued working. He said it wasn't the first time he got buried. He was in a much deeper hole some years back when the dirt caved in and buried him - it was more than 2 feet deep over his head! He was clinically dead and brought back by the EMT's and doctors! Woah. After that, I looked at him and asked, "Um, have you ever thought about retirement?!?"


New location. Next on the list? Dropping a new irrigation well. (Yeah, we're gonna pound it ourselves.)

After the guys left at noon, Lexi went down for a nap. Last night, she woke up at 2, crying. I gave her about 3 minutes (I hadn't yet fallen asleep) and then went in to check. I asked her, "What's the problem?" and if she was scared. She said yes, she had a bad dream. I asked her what it was about. A gog. A dog, hmmm. Was it Mia? Noooo. Was it Davis? Nooo. Allright, let's change your diaper. Milk, she asks? Ok. So, I get the milk and we rock for about 4 minutes. She looks at me and says, "Nigh? Nigh?" Ok. Momma's going to go nigh-nigh too. So, I put her down. By now it's 2:30 or so and I'm feeling tired enough to give sleep a try. At 2:45, just as I'm nodding off, I hear, "MOMMY!" and crying. I wait about 7 minutes, but she's still crying. So, I head back in there. We rock again and she starts to nod off on me. At about 3:10, I tell her that I need to go nigh-nigh, and that she needs to go nigh-nigh. Daddy? At Work? No, he's nigh-nigh (soundly snoring I might add). Ok, she says. So, I put her down and she is quiet. I finally fell asleep around 3:30. She woke up crying at 6:30. I'll tell ya - 3 hours is not enough sleep to qualify as any type of rest. Anyhow, when she went down this afternoon I thought - here's my chance! I laid down. Did sleep come? Heck no. Allen was passed out in the family room before I even made it into our bedroom. But, could I, on 3 hours of sleep manage to sneak an hour of recovery? No. Figures. I thought she may sleep a good 3 hours, but she only slept for 2 and then was up. Allen got up with her, but she whined and cried the whole time, and what mom can sleep through that? So I just got up.

We lazed around and ended up cleaning the sun room, swinging and watching the Belmont. (I still contend that Big Brown had a respiratory failure of some kind or an internal problem and that is what caused such a dramatic change in his ability to pull out in front for the last 1/3 of the race.) After that, our neighbors invited us over to swim. We had a really good time swimming. Lexi is learning how to kick her legs and will jump into our arms from the side of the pool. She counted to 10 today, also. Totally caught us by surprise.

Clearly thrilled by the on goings in the backyard. Every few minutes, she would say, "Bye, bye" to the guy driving the bucket.

She loves wearing these glasses. They are my old ones, but she wears them a lot. She wears them in the car, outside while playing and while watching Sesame Street.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

What a story! And more cute pics of Lexi! Sorry about your lack of sleep...we'll pray extra hard for ya! :)

About Me

My photo
What started as a way to communicate with far away friends and family has become a place for this horse trainer/HR manager turned stay at home mom of 3 girls to hold on to a bit of her own identity. It's my take on the ins and outs, the ups and downs, the thoughts and feelings, the mistakes and triumphs of this family as we bumble our way to eternity.