6.19.2008

Food

You know what one thing I absolutely dread doing daily? Making food for myself. Every day, I avoid trying to figure out what I want to eat. There are two reasons for this. The first being that I like variety and planning and shopping takes too much time. The second is I hate taking the time to make food. Not to mention, the clean up after. It's just another chore I'd love to take off of my list.

While I was working in CO, we had a chef for both the ranch and outfitters station I worked for. We got up at 6 a.m on most days sometimes as early as 3 a.m. on hunting days, wrangled and saddled 20 horses or, during hunting season, 40 mules, every day. After getting the livestock ready and packed, we ran in to eat. It was different every day and ready when we hit the door. We did the dishes every night but were in such a hurry in the morning to out to get our own horses ready, pack lunches for guests, get waters ready and help the guests or hunters get on their horses we usually got off the hook. Lunch was usually a bag lunch on the trail (we made those for the guests and ourselves after breakfast and before heading out). Dinner? Sometimes it was at 11 p.m. after the last elk came in from the farthest camp. We took care of the animals and the crew, hung the meat and then got to eat. Did I have to think about food? No. I walked in the door and ate something awesome almost every night. At the guest ranch, the cook was also the manager (who had a one year old the first year - I still don't know how she managed it all since she made at least 3 square meals a day for up to 30 people at a time) and my friend so she would make special stuff when I was too picky to enjoy the main menu. I got totally spoiled and loved it!

I wish I could hire a chef. I loathe planning the menu, buying the food and trying to be creative with meals. After making sure everyone else has a good meal in front of them, I hardly care about eating myself. So, I grab the fastest which is usually least healthy thing I can find, just to stop my stomach from screaming at me. I wish I could have the necessary vitamins and stuff via I.V. and skip the whole worrying about eating thing at all. Ugh.

1 comment:

Lewis Times said...

I have to admit I'm the same. However I've gotten better. I know make a list of things to make and started out with trying just one new meal a week. There's so many recipes out there! A good start is go to Kraftfoods.com and sign up for their 1/4 annual magazine. It has loads of ideas and from basic stuff. But it won't take the work away, especially the clean up!

About Me

My photo
What started as a way to communicate with far away friends and family has become a place for this horse trainer/HR manager turned stay at home mom of 3 girls to hold on to a bit of her own identity. It's my take on the ins and outs, the ups and downs, the thoughts and feelings, the mistakes and triumphs of this family as we bumble our way to eternity.