3.18.2008

Another lesson in appreciation

Friday morning Allen came in around 7 a.m. from feeding and said, "Your stud is trying to colic." Immediately, my gut told me that something much bigger than a tummy ache was the problem. I called the vet and asked if he could meet me at the clinic.

Typically, when a horse colics, they don't eat, are breathing hard, kick at their stomachs, lay down, roll, sweat, and can thrash around. I Be Streakin' wasn't doing any of those but was sluggishly eating his breakfast. Still, I knew that I wasn't going to be able to take care of his problem myself.

I met Dr. at the clinic and got the "you know how to deal with this mild case, what's up?" look. I explained my feelings and told him to tube him and do a fecal sample. If I Be gets wormy, he'll get a tummy ache. Dr. checked his gums to see if they were a good color and they were bright red. Usually, with colic they are pale. So, he decided to run some blood work. We tubed him and gave him some Banamine (to help with the discomfort), tube de-wormed him and observed him for a bit. The blood work came back and his liver is really sick.

I asked if diet could be to blame. It's possible. Also could be cancer. So, we'll adjust his feed, give him probiotics, some beet pulp for hydration and go back in two weeks for more blood work. I'm really glad I went with my gut and took him in. He seems to be in good spirits, eating better and hasn't coliced since. Hopefully, we'll get his feed right and all will be well!

Monday, I took Mia in for her annual vaccinations and to check her thyroid. Dobermans are notorious for developing heart problems and the vet noticed she has a leaky valve. We took her to ABQ at 6 Monday night for an ultrasound. Many times, heart problems don't show up until they are already serious so the ultrasound lady was really worried. Thank goodness she only has a slight murmur, doesn't need medication and has lots of life left. Combined with I Be Streakin's episode and we've put almost $1000 into vet bills in 3 days time! Not a good week for our pets or our pocket books.

Saturday a 12 year old client of mine, and also a Beehive in my ward, came over to ride her horse. She pulls out her hard hat and I say, "You're going to wear a helmet?!?" She starts to tell me this horrible story: her 11 year old friend was trying to ride her horse and couldn't find a bridle. She called her dad who said it was locked in the horse trailer, to un-tack the horse and wait for him to get home to help. Mom was sick and trying to nap in the house. Some time later, the neighbor is roused because the dogs and horse are going nuts. The horse is running around with a saddle, but no rider. He goes into the yard and finds the girl with her skull crushed. She was still breathing so he went to the house to get the mom. No answer. So, he goes back out and she is still breathing but starting to have convulsions and is vomiting. Since she is breathing, he runs next door and calls 911. When he gets back, she has stopped breathing. They tried to airlift her to Albuquerque (she lives in the Jemez mountains about 2 hours away), but the weather was too bad. They transported her in an ambulance, picking up a special crew of EMT's along the way. When they got to the hospital, she had zero brain function, but her heart was beating. Amy (my client) and her parents got a call that the friend was in the hospital at 10 p.m. They were in ABQ for a youth Temple trip and headed over. As they got to the room, the crash cart was pulled in and she coded. The curtain was pulled and they were asked to leave because she had died. She was one of Amy's best friends. Amy rode on Saturday because she wouldn't have gotten on again if she didn't do it right then. She's been pretty upset and is a totally different rider. Who can blame her?

Life is fragile and precious. While we can't lock our kids in the house, we can do lots to make them safe. Even more, we can cherish them and make sure they know we love them.

1 comment:

Silcox Stories said...

Wow, things are a little crazy over there. I think I will leave the pets to you!

You're right life is fragile and while it would be nice to lock our kids up safely forever; it just doesn't work that way. You are the perfect person for that sweet girl right now, she is lucky to have you in her life.

And so am I!!!

About Me

My photo
What started as a way to communicate with far away friends and family has become a place for this horse trainer/HR manager turned stay at home mom of 3 girls to hold on to a bit of her own identity. It's my take on the ins and outs, the ups and downs, the thoughts and feelings, the mistakes and triumphs of this family as we bumble our way to eternity.