9.12.2012

Holy Busy, Batman!

If you have more than one child and you're reading this, you may openly scoff at my weakness. You are also invited to knowingly nod your head or even shout out, "Amen sista" at any point.

This is my first year with more than one child involved in anything at all besides tv watching and tantrum throwing. I was planning on easing into the whole "over-scheduled-soccer-mom" routine, but it's come on like the flu and I can't shake it.

I think I've finally figured out why I went from feeling sort-of in control to totally overwhelmed in one week's time.

Lexi started school. Her day begins at 8 a.m. School ends at 2:00 p.m.

Addie started school. Her day begins, twice a week, at 8:30 a.m. And ends at 11:30 a.m.

Lexi also has soccer two nights a week. I'm the coach so that does involve a bit of planning and schlepping of a million things two nights a week. And games on Saturdays.

She is also starting piano this week.

And choir. After school. It's on the same day as Piano.

And riding lessons. I still do those once a week. I love it, yes, but it's also another task on the calendar that has to be managed.

But, really, that seems pretty reasonable, right?

Two kids in school (woot! woot!), and one involved in a seasonal sport while taking instrument lessons.

The wrench in my "slide-in-easy-to-the-cold-pool" on this crazy busy mom thing?

Emmy.

Suddenly, Emmy has therapy three days a week.

At various times. In various places. Sometimes, it's therapy twice a day. Once in Modesto (an hour's drive round trip) and once in our home later in the day.

So, when the note came home asking if I can help in Lexi's class, my lack of time became glaringly troublesome. I can't!!! (And that kills me. Fear not, we are rearranging the schedule as we type.)

I've gone from one kid in school part time to THREE kids who all have MULTIPLE extracurricular activities on MULTIPLE days at DIFFERENT times in DIFFERENT cities.

Lest we forget time to, I dunno, grocery shop, make and keep various doctors appointments, back to school nights, boy scouts for Allen, hair cuts, cleaning, yard work, laundry, cooking, bathing, and occasionally sleeping.

And naps? Fuhgettaboutit.

At this point, I'm not home for more than an hour at any given time. In the morning, it's school, preschool, drive to Modesto for therapy, pick up from preschool, suddenly it's afternoon, and I've got pick up from regular school, soccer, and finally home. Or therapy here. Or piano. Or we have an errand.

You all know the drill. I'm just sayin' that going from one kid who's mildly involved to three kids who are all too busy has my head spinning.

Raise your hand if you are in the same boat that's churning around in a whirlpool full of cheerios, sports gear, and redundant school forms!

(It's ok if you really raised your hand.)

3 comments:

The Giuliacci Family said...

In my best african-american voice..."Mmmm-Hmmmm...PReACH, SISTA!"

Now, lest you all think I'm racist...you all need to understand there's nothing I love better than listening to African American women speak to eachother. It's like music to the ears...it's like coming home...to good ol' down home cookin'. So don't be jumping down my throat for being racist!

You're doing great, Traci! I used to think having older kids HAD to be easier than a house full of tiny kids. It's not easier...just different!

Poetry of Life said...

I hate to say it, but that is why I strongly encourage Ben to play soccer, Danielle to play softball, and am happy Hannah isn't competitive. Dani didn't start piano until she was 9 and Hannah won't either. I'm hoping by the time Bree gets there at least Danielle will be old enough to stay by herself at practices. Hang in there! Your car is your second home. Make sure you stock it for all your traveling needs!

Lewis Times said...

Raise my hand! Don't forget the practice of piano now....and reading and homework.... Amen Sista!

About Me

My photo
What started as a way to communicate with far away friends and family has become a place for this horse trainer/HR manager turned stay at home mom of 3 girls to hold on to a bit of her own identity. It's my take on the ins and outs, the ups and downs, the thoughts and feelings, the mistakes and triumphs of this family as we bumble our way to eternity.