7.12.2012

Food vs. Exercise

It's a debate as old as time. What matters more if you're trying to lose weight?

Food

or

Exercise?

Well, I'm going to settle this for you once and for all. No, I'm no doctor so if having years of schooling and a degree and all that jazz matters to you, then disregard my advice.

Otherwise, here it is:

Food. 

It's the winner hands down. If you eat right, you'll lose weight. If you eat wrong, you'll get fatter.

If you exercise and eat good, you'll lose weight and get toned. If you exercise and eat bad, you'll still get fatter.

I did NOT exercise during my weight loss phase. Not a lick.

Now, I am not advising against exercise. I'm just saying it's a waste of time to run on the treadmill for an hour and then think you can eat a cheeseburger and see results.

You've got to change what you're putting into your body to see a change on the outside of your body. Plain and simple. I once saw this quote: "your body keeps a food journal whether you write it down or not" and it's totally true.

I think this information gives people like me hope. I don't always feel like I get the time to dedicate 45 minutes to an intense workout every day. If attaining optimal health were solely, or even mostly, dependent on exercise, I'd be hosed.

Thank goodness that's not the case.

You don't need to belong to a gym. You don't need to be a marathon runner. You just need to have self control and access to healthy food options. (Easier said than done sometimes, I know.)

So, if you're feeling hopeless and overwhelmed and like you can't afford a gym membership and you'll never climb out of the hole you've dug with Reese's peanut butter cups and ice cream sundaes, have hope my friends.

It is possible!

1 comment:

Liz R. said...

i completely agree with you. when i started my force-placed diet i lost 7 pounds and did not exercise one bit. when i did start exercising i thought i would lose more weight, but ended up gaining some... go figure. it's all muscle, right??

About Me

My photo
What started as a way to communicate with far away friends and family has become a place for this horse trainer/HR manager turned stay at home mom of 3 girls to hold on to a bit of her own identity. It's my take on the ins and outs, the ups and downs, the thoughts and feelings, the mistakes and triumphs of this family as we bumble our way to eternity.