2.24.2009

All In The Family

Remember me saying the horse had coliced. Well, we now know why. He has ulcers. He's on prevacid. No, I'm not kidding. Unfortunately, the prevacid regimen is $1400 for ONE month. Zantac has proven to help gastric ulcers in horses and is only $30 a month. There is another product called Miracle Clay that also heals ulcers and is quite a bit less expensive. We're still weighing our options.

He had been colicing for about 5 days and then started walking like he was drunk. I thought he was foundering (the hoof wall separates and his bones can rotate) because of the continuous pain. I called the vet who told me to put him "on ice" all night. I asked Allen what we had that could be used as a tub for the horse and this is what we came up with:




Allen asked me how the heck I was going to get this horse into a wading pool. I said, "I'm going to ask him to." I picked up his feet and in he went. I tied him to the stall, stuck some hay in front of him, put a bucket of water up and left him there for the night. He stood there, too. He's such a good boy. Most horses would have freaked out just having the pool in the stall with them. I Be Streakin' took it all in stride and didn't give me any hassle.

The next morning we went to the vets. Thankfully, he hadn't foundered. They kept all day on fluids as he was pretty dehydrated and had minimal gut sounds. By the end of the day, he was a little better, but not much. I can get an endoscopy (another $350) so I think I'm going to do some of the treatments and see what we get before I haul him up to ABQ and get it done.

I'm sure the doctor couldn't figure out why I knew everything there was to know about Zantac, Carafate, and Prevacid. Why did I know so much about gastric emptying and PPI's? Well, I said, I have reflux babies and ulcers myself. This whole freakin' family has had some kind of stomach trauma!!!! I'm starting to wonder if I'm so stressful to live with that I make everyone sick. (If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all here people.) I can't believe it. Anyhow, I hope old I Be Streakin' starts to feeling better soon.

1 comment:

Silcox Stories said...

I CANNOT BELIEVE IT! Well, I guess in some ways I can, but really the horse too?! My heart just aches with the sheer exhaustion you must be faced with. Hang in there dear friend; somehow you will survive, even if it's by diet coke and peanut M&M's!

About Me

My photo
What started as a way to communicate with far away friends and family has become a place for this horse trainer/HR manager turned stay at home mom of 3 girls to hold on to a bit of her own identity. It's my take on the ins and outs, the ups and downs, the thoughts and feelings, the mistakes and triumphs of this family as we bumble our way to eternity.