5.29.2010

Chokladbollar (Swedish Chocolate Balls)


Growing up, our family hosted a few foreign exchange students. Looking back, I see what a wonderful experience that was for our family. Our first, Hilde is from Norway. I remember lots of things about her stay, but one of the things I remember the most clearly are these cookies. In fact, a couple of years ago, I had a craving for these things. But, we had fallen out of touch and I didn't know the name of the recipe. Despite my best efforts, I couldn't find the right one.

Thanks to the miracle of Facebook, Hilde and I now are able to stay in touch. The recipe she sent had metric units, but I finally had the name to these awesome little guys. I did some searching, found a recipe that had similar ingredient ratios but listed in American measurements. I made them today and Oh. my. gosh. I love them. I'm sure there is some childhood nostalgia associated with my infatuation, but I gave them the Allen taste test and he said they were rockin'. 

They are super quick and easy to make. They do not require cooking so they are perfect for these warmer months. Kids can easily help. The recipe is quite adaptable so you can tweak it to serve your own tastes. Sounds like a winner, right?

Chokladollar


1/4 cup sugar
6 Tablespoons softened butter (not melted, though)
1 Tablespoon vanilla (of course, the real stuff)
1 1/2 cups quick cooking oats (not the instant bags, though)2 Tablespoons cocoa powder
1 Tablespoon coffee*
Pearl sugar (the big sugar used to top cupcakes or decorate with) or shredded coconut for rolling in

*Now, we are not coffee drinking folks. I found a website the recommended using chocolate milk for a substitute. I opted to use a tablespoon of regular Hershey's syrup. Hilde said many folks use orange juice. Basically, you need to put a tablespoon strong, concentrated liquid in. You can decide exactly what that may be. Hazelnut or almond flavored stuff would probably taste really good, too.

Cream butter, sugar and vanilla until fluffy. Add oats, cocoa, and coffee (or substituted liquid). Mix thoroughly. Roll into balls about the size of a meatball. Roll in topping of choice. Put in fridge to set (takes about 1/2 an hour minimum) or you can put them in the freezer if you like. Store in fridge or freezer. This recipe makes about 15 so strongly recommend doubling.

1 comment:

Reading Champions said...

Sounds like a winner to me. I'm going to try to find our exchange students as well -

About Me

My photo
What started as a way to communicate with far away friends and family has become a place for this horse trainer/HR manager turned stay at home mom of 3 girls to hold on to a bit of her own identity. It's my take on the ins and outs, the ups and downs, the thoughts and feelings, the mistakes and triumphs of this family as we bumble our way to eternity.