9.21.2014

The One

When we started dating, I asked Allen if he believed in "the one". When he flatly said, "no", the wind went out of my sails.
What did that mean? Why was he choosing me then? If he didn't even think there was someone truly made just for him, was I just "better than being alone"?
After 12 years of highs and lows, mundane moments, bringing four people to this earth, many a move, changing of jobs, loss, heartbreak, triumph and also defeat, what I've learned is this:
“To say that one waits a lifetime for his soulmate to come around is a paradox. People eventually get sick of waiting, take a chance on someone, and by the art of commitment become soulmates, which takes a lifetime to perfect.”
I have to say, there is beauty and romance in this art of commitment. And rather than saying "she's the one", Allen has spent the last 12 years becoming THE ONE.
To witness a man do all that he can to try and fulfill every need, every want, to try and anticipate every demand and hope, truly testifies that I, am, without doubt "the one". He's done it for one one else and keeps trying day after day to be "my one".
Happy Anniversary, Allen Riddle.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
What started as a way to communicate with far away friends and family has become a place for this horse trainer/HR manager turned stay at home mom of 3 girls to hold on to a bit of her own identity. It's my take on the ins and outs, the ups and downs, the thoughts and feelings, the mistakes and triumphs of this family as we bumble our way to eternity.